EaST BUG has provided feedback on the Draft Bulimba Barracks Masterplan: East BUG submission (30 October 2015)
Our submission emphasises the requirements for space for cycling in the context to this development:
- Safer routes to schools. Residents from this area must have safe routes to local school, which means that safety issues along Lytton Road in both directions must be addressed so that local children have opportunities to safely ride or walk to school.
- Local streets, not through streets (preventing ratrunning through neighbourhood streets)
- Protected space on main roads for people who choose to ride bicycles – in particular Lytton Road, Bulimba.
- A connected and direct bicycle network,
- 30kph speed limits on neighbourhood streets, and
- Bicycle friendly suburban centres – in particular nearby Oxford St, Bulimba
Background: The Australian Government Department of Defence has offered part of the Bulimba Barracks at Apollo Road, Bulimba for redevelopment. Brisbane City Council, with support from the Queensland Government, is leading a master planning exercise to guide development of this significant riverfront opportunity in line with community expectations. More information is available on the Brisbane City Council Website.